Hundreds of years ago when I was a little fairy, my tutors complained that I had only one flaw; one speck labeled imperfection. That imperfection was me not being able to order my priorities, also known as doing the right thing at the wrong time.
A typical example would be me waking up in the morning, eating dinner, doing my homework, having my siesta, then brushing my teeth in the afternoons and going to school. Of course it would be empty, closed even; I’d get there just as everyone would be having siestas, at home! The Fairy GodFather called it “putting the cart before the horse”. At a point they even wondered if I was a proper fairy but believe me, I tried then, I’m trying now and I will keep working at it!
Now you all know the story behind my coming to earth and refusing to go back to Fairyland so I won’t bore you with that.
What I can tell you however is that if the Fairy Godfather were to land here, he’d most definitely die of shock! I mean, I (even in my apparent state of disorderliness) do not hold a candle to earth when it comes to misplaced priorities! Its almost as if we (especially in our dear motherland) thrive on doing things backwards!
- We launch satellites when we don’t have regular security cameras and cannot find murderers and thieves running our streets
- We’re buying jets when the next man almost cannot afford to walk around
- We earmark large spots for outrageous health facilities when our primary health centres in communities are overrun with weeds, grass and animals
- We allow our representatives to attend functions in convoys of 16 vehicles when the average Nigerian struggles to afford a bus ride
- We allocate billions to celebrate a 50th birthday when we are barely a year old in development!
I imagine he would have a coronary if he heard that the light company in Nigeria (NEPA or PHCN) shut down operations in the whole country; can you beat that? Ironically it’s the first time this has happened in Nigeria’s history, a few minutes to our ‘Golden Jubilee’ celebrations.
I’ll stop here but I must warn that the Fairy GodFather will be visiting by the end of the year; let’s hope we get our priorities aright before then.
- The Nigerian Problem is a Corruption Problem by Onyedikachi Obiwanne (goldenmindsnigeria.wordpress.com)
- Personal News – God Has Been Super Good To Me (thechristianbookcompany.wordpress.com)
- Mega party emerges in June – Buhari (ejaife.wordpress.com)